Layering is the bread and butter of great style. Knowing how to do it in a way that makes you feel comfortable and keeps your look streamlined is also, in our opinion, the most fun part of getting dressed. Sure, we love steamy summer days where only a slinky sundress or a tee and shorts are required, but there’s something about getting to create a LOOK, filled with different shapes and textures, that makes winter fashion so fun. Here, the top 5 layering pieces from Citi Trends you simply must have this season. Why did they make the cut?
They’re fresh, affordable, and they go with nearly everything. Check them out, and get even more inspo here!
- The Duster Coat: This silhouette looks great on literally everyone. The wrap style cinches in at the waist and creates an hourglass figure, plus the V-neck shows off your collarbone—always sexy! Not to mention we l-o-v-e the drama of this longer-length shape. Wear over a long-sleeve thermal or lightweight knit. Try a turtleneck for added interest.
- The Aztec-Print Poncho: Versions of this print are majorly trending right now. This cozy knit with fun fringe detail is a bit oversize, perfect for wrapping around your body and getting cozy. Again, a lightweight knit or long-sleeve thermal works here—just layer the poncho right over like you would a vest. You can even try something chunkier underneath—the wide sleeves allow plenty of room for thicker layers.
- The Patchwork Denim Jacket: We repeat—layering can be so FUN! Add some “oomph” to a denim topper with emojis, numbers and beyond. Try rocking this piece under a shorter puffer jacket. Let the longer hem peek out the bottom. The denim jacket’s oversize design allows for a chunky knit or hoodie to be worn underneath. Let the hood hang out of the jacket for a touch of effortless cool.
- The Anorak: We love the utility vibe of this jacket. It feels rugged, and it looks totally cool. Great for rain or blustery sun, the anorak has roomy pockets for all your essentials and can be worn with just about anything underneath! Fashion meets function for sure.
- The Puffer Jacket: For those in truly chilly climates, a puffer jacket or coat is very necessary. The gold detailing on this Baby Phat option is truly chic and the faux fur hood adds cool texture. Throw this bad boy on over sweaters, sweatshirts, vests, lighter jackets (including the denim option we mentioned above!).
We want to hear from you! What are your go-to layering pieces? Any layering tips you swear by? Share them in the comments down below.